Thursday, September 11, 2008

Where were you when the world stopped turning?



In an attempt to be good at this whole “blogging” thing, I wanted to do a quick note about September 11th to commemorate the day. 7 years ago America wept and we are still all weeping today. I know that every single one of you can say “I remember what I was doing when the twin towers fell” or as Alan Jackson sang “where were you when the world stopped turning, that September day?” Well, my story starts back in High school (EEK I was in my senior year 7 years ago! I’m getting old). I was in Mr. Zubke’s class “Career Readiness” dressed as a lame superhero. I should explain this outfit, it was pretty special, and I had on my brother’s Superman Tee shirt, a pair of Superman boxer shorts, and a red white and blue stripped bed sheet as a cape. Even more importantly it was “Ki-Yi” week, which for those of you who grew up around Watertown “Ki-Yi” was our homecoming tradition. We were listening to Mr.Zubke go on and on about how we needed to sell more carabineers to make more money for our class. Jesyna & Nate had gone to the principal’s office and were returning with a look of fear on their face when I heard Jesyna with a shaky voice explain to Mr.Zubke that we needed to turn on the TV. Then Mrs.Janish the principal came over the intercom asking all the teachers to turn on the TV’s for their students. There we sat, watching in horror and idiotic costumes; suddenly “Ki-Yi” didn’t seem like it was the most important thing in the world (which for most high school students it is). All day in every single class all we did was watch the CNN reports of the Twin towers falling … over and over and over. By the time I got home I was emotionally exhausted, having knowing no one in the mix I felt for every single family. Later that night I went to a vigil held by our church and wept. 7 years later, our country is still at war. My 22 year old cousin Nick (photo with plane) and my 31 year old cousin Joe are in Iraq still fighting for freedom. Keep them in your prayers, keep the victims’ families in your prayers, and keep America in your prayers. Until tomorrow ♥ abby

No comments:

Labels

1312 (21) 30 Days of Thankful (29) 4th of July (1) 807 (3) Adventure (37) Angels (49) Anniversary (1) Aquaman (128) Aquaman Gracie (2) Art (2) Baseball (10) Be Still (13) Because (3) Birthday (26) bittersweet (1) Bloggerversary (7) Bloggybits (1) Blogstars (1) Bookworm (3) C25K (10) Cats (6) Celiac (5) Chef Eric (10) Chic (3) Christmas (20) Christmastime (73) Co-worker (24) Co-workers (7) Collecting (3) Coworkers (66) Crafty Things (12) Dianne's Hope (3) Diet (1) Disneyland (1) Easter (2) Eateries (3) Er (1) Exercise (9) Facebook (1) Faith (9) FALL (27) Family (139) Fitness (4) Football (1) For Me (10) Friends (59) Girl Time (17) Grace (23) Gracie (61) Halloween (43) Happy (1) He Humors Me (107) Hike (1) Holiday (2) Home Sweet Home (102) Homemaking (2) I am a Nerd (65) Inspiration (8) iPhone (6) Just Be (8) KMS (3) Kneelands (42) Lent (5) Luna (20) Mariners (2) Marvista Park (1) Memories (61) Momma (9) Motivation (1) Movember (4) Moving (3) Musings (110) NaBloPoMo (100) neighbors (1) Nephews (14) New Year (4) Nieces (19) Our Furry Kids (139) Owls (3) Pacific Northwest (2) PFM (1) Photo-a-Day (2) Photography (14) PSA (1) Quotes (1) Random (26) Rat City (1) Raw (1) Relay Committee (27) Relay For Life (43) Resolutions (4) Roller Derby (38) Ronnebeck Recap (7) Running (3) Seahawks (5) Seattle (13) Seattle Pals (67) Siblings (8) Skating (2) Slice of Life (20) Smile (34) Social Media (1) SoDo (1) Something New (75) South Dakota (55) Stories (1) t (1) Tales of Traveling (34) Ten on Tuesday (73) Thankful (20) Thanksgiving (13) The City (36) The Commuter In Me (24) the Kneelands (31) The Nielsens (32) Thrifting (9) Toys (1) Traditions (16) Twilight (1) Vacation (51) Vintage (2) Visitors (26) We are so in Love (19) We're So in Love (61) Wedding (1) Weight Loss (2) Wizard of Oz (2)