Monday, June 28, 2010

2 Year Puppy-versary


Today is a great day for a couple of reasons, Carter turns 8, and today we celebrate the anniversary of the day I brought Aquaman home to live with us.

It was a beautiful sunny Saturday in 2008. I had gotten all the “permission” forms signed from our neighbors, the okay from our landlord and dug the cat kennel out of the back of the closet to put our new bundle of puppy in. I had an idea of which one I wanted based on the descriptions and pictures Laurie (the breeder) had posted on NWSource.com (classifieds).

His Classified ad read like this…

“Shih Tzu Pups $350-450… Shih Tzu Pups, home-raised, 1st shots, Will deliver! Born April 20th” The ad goes on to talk about each puppy individually, but I’ll just post which one was Aquaman’s (then ‘Charlie’) ad. “Charlie – He is just a cuddle bug & wants to lie in your lap or play tug of war.”

Looks like not much has changed since this ad, he’s still like that.

I had went out for coffee with Katherine the morning of and told her “I think I’m going to buy the dog”. She was super supportive of this “Surprise Eric with a dog” game I was playing! I went home, and as I was getting ready to go pick out/up the puppy I noticed I had forgotten my wallet in her Volvo with all of my cash to buy the dog. I panicked since she was on her way to a wedding in Seattle! Luckily we have keys to each other’s house and luckily she didn’t drive the Volvo to the wedding.

I went in, found her extra set of car keys and got the wallet out of her Volvo. Whew, that was a close one.

I met Laurie at the Bank of America in South Center; she was decked out in a pink Shih Tzu tee shirt, and long pink fingernails! I’m still kind of depressed I didn’t get a picture of her. I walked up to the trunk and there were multiple little puppy heads popping out of the back, all different shades of black, brown and white. There was one puppy lying all the way towards the back of the trunk, he was a little tubbier than the rest, but looked pooped out from the journey over the mountains from the Tricities! I introduced myself to Laurie and told her I was the one interested in ‘Charlie’. She then called to the little guy lying towards the back of the trunk and he begrudgingly got up and came to her. She picked him up and handed him to me and he made little grunting noises with each movement we made. He snuggled into the crook of my neck and I fell in love.


(He's the brown one in the back)

(The Second one from the Left)

I took time to hold and pet the other puppies, but my heart already belonged to the tubby little puppy in the trunk. I told her I wanted to take ‘Charlie’ home with me, and she said “oh he’s my favorite, I will miss him. We almost kept him for ourselves”. I went back to the car and got the cash, she signed over his papers, and I took pictures of him with his brothers and sisters; and before long we were on our way back to Des Moines to meet his sister (Gracie) and to enjoy some long naps together!





Not much has changed… the cat still isn’t fond of the dog.

And he’s still the cutest thing I own!






I love my Furry Faces!

No comments:

Labels

1312 (21) 30 Days of Thankful (29) 4th of July (1) 807 (3) Adventure (37) Angels (49) Anniversary (1) Aquaman (128) Aquaman Gracie (2) Art (2) Baseball (10) Be Still (13) Because (3) Birthday (26) bittersweet (1) Bloggerversary (7) Bloggybits (1) Blogstars (1) Bookworm (3) C25K (10) Cats (6) Celiac (5) Chef Eric (10) Chic (3) Christmas (20) Christmastime (73) Co-worker (24) Co-workers (7) Collecting (3) Coworkers (66) Crafty Things (12) Dianne's Hope (3) Diet (1) Disneyland (1) Easter (2) Eateries (3) Er (1) Exercise (9) Facebook (1) Faith (9) FALL (27) Family (139) Fitness (4) Football (1) For Me (10) Friends (59) Girl Time (17) Grace (23) Gracie (61) Halloween (43) Happy (1) He Humors Me (107) Hike (1) Holiday (2) Home Sweet Home (102) Homemaking (2) I am a Nerd (65) Inspiration (8) iPhone (6) Just Be (8) KMS (3) Kneelands (42) Lent (5) Luna (20) Mariners (2) Marvista Park (1) Memories (61) Momma (9) Motivation (1) Movember (4) Moving (3) Musings (110) NaBloPoMo (100) neighbors (1) Nephews (14) New Year (4) Nieces (19) Our Furry Kids (139) Owls (3) Pacific Northwest (2) PFM (1) Photo-a-Day (2) Photography (14) PSA (1) Quotes (1) Random (26) Rat City (1) Raw (1) Relay Committee (27) Relay For Life (43) Resolutions (4) Roller Derby (38) Ronnebeck Recap (7) Running (3) Seahawks (5) Seattle (13) Seattle Pals (67) Siblings (8) Skating (2) Slice of Life (20) Smile (34) Social Media (1) SoDo (1) Something New (75) South Dakota (55) Stories (1) t (1) Tales of Traveling (34) Ten on Tuesday (73) Thankful (20) Thanksgiving (13) The City (36) The Commuter In Me (24) the Kneelands (31) The Nielsens (32) Thrifting (9) Toys (1) Traditions (16) Twilight (1) Vacation (51) Vintage (2) Visitors (26) We are so in Love (19) We're So in Love (61) Wedding (1) Weight Loss (2) Wizard of Oz (2)