Thursday, February 9, 2012

On the Day I was Born...


 On February 9th on any given year my Mom would call me (or wake me) at an obscene hour in the morning (3,4,5am) to tell me about the day I was born.

It was 40 degrees and sunny. She was induced in the afternoon and I was born at 7:00 pm. With enough time to get back to the room and watch Knots Landing at 8. That night there was a heavy fog that moved in.
I missed my Mom's phone call this morning. It's been a dread of mine every day for the last month or so. Last night to head off the pit of sadness I drowned my sorrows in a tub of coconut macaroons (even though Mom hated coconut, I love it) and looked through my Baby book, because it is in my Mom's handwriting, and it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

 Reading the words in her handwriting is the closest thing I can get to hearing "ON THE DAY YOU WERE BORN" booming from the other end of the phone line.


 The book was gifted to my Mom (and I) by my Grandma Nani (her Mom) and Mom diligently completed most of the pages for me. She stuffed a few photos in there for me, and a few things I had made her for various Mother's Days.
 I dug through my cards from the past couple years - and added them to the book. It's a little more full now.
 In the back it's a letter to me 
"Abby, you are quite a kid. You will do anything for someone to laugh. I think you listen to your older brother and sister too much and tease around with uncle Scott all the time. At 2 years old I told you to ride in the car seat and you said 'I'm not a baby you know!'"

I have only ever been able to find the one photo (above) of my birth. The nurse took it with the hospital Polaroid.

I treasure this book, and am so glad that my Mom helped me remember these memories which are more precious now than I could have ever imagined.

I'll miss your birthday greeting Mom, but thank you for always being there to tell me how special the day I was born was - even if it was told to me at an obscene hour of the morning!

I love you and I miss you every day.


So in tradition with this blog, I'll step out on my ledge and be the first one to wish myself a Happy Birthday - vanity has always been a strength of mine.

1 comment:

Madge said...

Happy birthday sweet girl!!!
Hope your day gets brighter and you get everything you want, including poutine at the steelhead diner.

Labels

1312 (21) 30 Days of Thankful (29) 4th of July (1) 807 (3) Adventure (37) Angels (49) Anniversary (1) Aquaman (128) Aquaman Gracie (2) Art (2) Baseball (10) Be Still (13) Because (3) Birthday (26) bittersweet (1) Bloggerversary (7) Bloggybits (1) Blogstars (1) Bookworm (3) C25K (10) Cats (6) Celiac (5) Chef Eric (10) Chic (3) Christmas (20) Christmastime (73) Co-worker (24) Co-workers (7) Collecting (3) Coworkers (66) Crafty Things (12) Dianne's Hope (3) Diet (1) Disneyland (1) Easter (2) Eateries (3) Er (1) Exercise (9) Facebook (1) Faith (9) FALL (27) Family (139) Fitness (4) Football (1) For Me (10) Friends (59) Girl Time (17) Grace (23) Gracie (61) Halloween (43) Happy (1) He Humors Me (107) Hike (1) Holiday (2) Home Sweet Home (102) Homemaking (2) I am a Nerd (65) Inspiration (8) iPhone (6) Just Be (8) KMS (3) Kneelands (42) Lent (5) Luna (20) Mariners (2) Marvista Park (1) Memories (61) Momma (9) Motivation (1) Movember (4) Moving (3) Musings (110) NaBloPoMo (100) neighbors (1) Nephews (14) New Year (4) Nieces (19) Our Furry Kids (139) Owls (3) Pacific Northwest (2) PFM (1) Photo-a-Day (2) Photography (14) PSA (1) Quotes (1) Random (26) Rat City (1) Raw (1) Relay Committee (27) Relay For Life (43) Resolutions (4) Roller Derby (38) Ronnebeck Recap (7) Running (3) Seahawks (5) Seattle (13) Seattle Pals (67) Siblings (8) Skating (2) Slice of Life (20) Smile (34) Social Media (1) SoDo (1) Something New (75) South Dakota (55) Stories (1) t (1) Tales of Traveling (34) Ten on Tuesday (73) Thankful (20) Thanksgiving (13) The City (36) The Commuter In Me (24) the Kneelands (31) The Nielsens (32) Thrifting (9) Toys (1) Traditions (16) Twilight (1) Vacation (51) Vintage (2) Visitors (26) We are so in Love (19) We're So in Love (61) Wedding (1) Weight Loss (2) Wizard of Oz (2)