Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Giving up our Chair

Official as of today we have resigned our position as the Co-Event chair of Highline Relay for Life.

This decision was not made with haste, but in complete love, patience, and prayer.

When I started Relaying in 2009 weeks after Mom was diagnosed, I could think of nothing more than getting top of that Relay pyramid and helping fight cancer harder, faster, longer, with bigger bang all so my Mom wasn't alone in the fight.

A few weeks before Relay this year, Donna and I met, and I had a heavy heart. Being the Co-Chair had taken from me what I was thriving to earn when I started this journey, the closeness I felt to my Mom.



I looked across the table at my newly diagnosed friend, and had a tall order, I had to tell her, a hero in my eyes, that I didn't want to lead this Relay anymore. I was petrified. But once the words fell out of my mouth, it was met with a hand held, and a "Me either".

We were both hanging in the chaos for the other, we were both fighting to still love Relay while the walls were falling down around us, but we were there for each other, and for Mom. Donna will tell you that she Relays for my Mom just as much as she Relays for anyone, even herself.

Standing at Relay, not able to reflect, and take time for myself to remember Mom during the Luminary lap solidified my decision to resign. I had started this FOR her, if She's not being remembered because I'm too busy wrangling cats, then what the hell am I doing it for? The unnecessary stress and criticism? Um, No.

So we're going back to the basics. I will still be a part of Team Simpson. We will still raise the bar each year, higher and higher to fight back against this disease that has taken too much from us. This year we landed at $13,360. I landed in second place overall with $2,226. As a Relay we are at $65,346 ($28,846 over our original goal of $36,500) We kicked some major cancer butt! I will remember my Mom. I will honor her fight, and keep her close to my heart as I walk that track next year, and I won't be called away to help unplug a toilet, or figure out why the forms we're missing... are missing. I will do it for Mom, and honor her the way she deserves.

Lastly, to Joanne, our American Cancer Society Staff Partner. I'm sorry. I know that us resigning isn't the way you wanted to round out 2013, but I know you'll find someone who will rock this just like we did, and Highline Relay will be better served to a Chair who's heart is in it for the big picture. And thank you, for being so wonderful - we couldn't have done it without you - we've built a lifelong friendship, and love for each other which will continue beyond Relay. Right now, Donna and I need to focus on WHY we Relay, not HOW


No comments:

Labels

1312 (21) 30 Days of Thankful (29) 4th of July (1) 807 (3) Adventure (37) Angels (49) Anniversary (1) Aquaman (128) Aquaman Gracie (2) Art (2) Baseball (10) Be Still (13) Because (3) Birthday (26) bittersweet (1) Bloggerversary (7) Bloggybits (1) Blogstars (1) Bookworm (3) C25K (10) Cats (6) Celiac (5) Chef Eric (10) Chic (3) Christmas (20) Christmastime (73) Co-worker (24) Co-workers (7) Collecting (3) Coworkers (66) Crafty Things (12) Dianne's Hope (3) Diet (1) Disneyland (1) Easter (2) Eateries (3) Er (1) Exercise (9) Facebook (1) Faith (9) FALL (27) Family (139) Fitness (4) Football (1) For Me (10) Friends (59) Girl Time (17) Grace (23) Gracie (61) Halloween (43) Happy (1) He Humors Me (107) Hike (1) Holiday (2) Home Sweet Home (102) Homemaking (2) I am a Nerd (65) Inspiration (8) iPhone (6) Just Be (8) KMS (3) Kneelands (42) Lent (5) Luna (20) Mariners (2) Marvista Park (1) Memories (61) Momma (9) Motivation (1) Movember (4) Moving (3) Musings (110) NaBloPoMo (100) neighbors (1) Nephews (14) New Year (4) Nieces (19) Our Furry Kids (139) Owls (3) Pacific Northwest (2) PFM (1) Photo-a-Day (2) Photography (14) PSA (1) Quotes (1) Random (26) Rat City (1) Raw (1) Relay Committee (27) Relay For Life (43) Resolutions (4) Roller Derby (38) Ronnebeck Recap (7) Running (3) Seahawks (5) Seattle (13) Seattle Pals (67) Siblings (8) Skating (2) Slice of Life (20) Smile (34) Social Media (1) SoDo (1) Something New (75) South Dakota (55) Stories (1) t (1) Tales of Traveling (34) Ten on Tuesday (73) Thankful (20) Thanksgiving (13) The City (36) The Commuter In Me (24) the Kneelands (31) The Nielsens (32) Thrifting (9) Toys (1) Traditions (16) Twilight (1) Vacation (51) Vintage (2) Visitors (26) We are so in Love (19) We're So in Love (61) Wedding (1) Weight Loss (2) Wizard of Oz (2)