Tuesday, March 4, 2014

40 Days of better...


When Eric and I started dating I learned of his large list of things to give up for lent, and at the time I thought it was maybe a little over the top listing 10 items he was intending on "fasting" on, I realize now, he was only trying to better himself.

I was not much for Lenten Fasting when I was younger, but I don't believe I understood the significance of it. I do blame that on my Catholic friends who could only ever explain to me that they had to eat Fish on Fridays, when I asked them "Why?" they would say "Because it's Lent" (Duh!). Then, again, I'd ask "Why?" Which was often met with a blank stare.

Fasting is meant to signify the 40 days of Jesus suffering in the desert. The observers of a Lenten fast, now in a more modern tone, give up Vices or actions to be able to bring them closer to God. The time, money or energy spent on the vice is then given to GOD. Often people will "Give up" something for Lent and then "Pick up" something for Lent.

I hope to not only give up a few things, but to pick up some good habits in the meantime.

This year I find myself in the right mindset to fast and to work on myself a little, after a rocky start on my New Years resolutions.

So, in conjunction with a few things I wanted to work on for New Years, here's my Lenten fasts.

* Swearing | There will be a "Swear" jar placed on my desk, each swear earns me a paperclip in the jar, each paperclip is worth $.25. This could get ugly.

* Facebook | Though I've cut back (Quite considerably) I still find myself pointlessly roaming FB without real purpose.

* Bad Eating Habits | After losing 65 pounds last year, I've officially gained 9 back.  I have a bridesmaid dress to fit into by May.

* Diet Coke | And really, all sodas, but Diet Coke is my Vice. I read the other day that you can lose considerable weight by cutting Diet Soda out of your diet. So, we should give it a shot, I'm totally addicted.



No comments:

Labels

1312 (21) 30 Days of Thankful (29) 4th of July (1) 807 (3) Adventure (37) Angels (49) Anniversary (1) Aquaman (128) Aquaman Gracie (2) Art (2) Baseball (10) Be Still (13) Because (3) Birthday (26) bittersweet (1) Bloggerversary (7) Bloggybits (1) Blogstars (1) Bookworm (3) C25K (10) Cats (6) Celiac (5) Chef Eric (10) Chic (3) Christmas (20) Christmastime (73) Co-worker (24) Co-workers (7) Collecting (3) Coworkers (66) Crafty Things (12) Dianne's Hope (3) Diet (1) Disneyland (1) Easter (2) Eateries (3) Er (1) Exercise (9) Facebook (1) Faith (9) FALL (27) Family (139) Fitness (4) Football (1) For Me (10) Friends (59) Girl Time (17) Grace (23) Gracie (61) Halloween (43) Happy (1) He Humors Me (107) Hike (1) Holiday (2) Home Sweet Home (102) Homemaking (2) I am a Nerd (65) Inspiration (8) iPhone (6) Just Be (8) KMS (3) Kneelands (42) Lent (5) Luna (20) Mariners (2) Marvista Park (1) Memories (61) Momma (9) Motivation (1) Movember (4) Moving (3) Musings (110) NaBloPoMo (100) neighbors (1) Nephews (14) New Year (4) Nieces (19) Our Furry Kids (139) Owls (3) Pacific Northwest (2) PFM (1) Photo-a-Day (2) Photography (14) PSA (1) Quotes (1) Random (26) Rat City (1) Raw (1) Relay Committee (27) Relay For Life (43) Resolutions (4) Roller Derby (38) Ronnebeck Recap (7) Running (3) Seahawks (5) Seattle (13) Seattle Pals (67) Siblings (8) Skating (2) Slice of Life (20) Smile (34) Social Media (1) SoDo (1) Something New (75) South Dakota (55) Stories (1) t (1) Tales of Traveling (34) Ten on Tuesday (73) Thankful (20) Thanksgiving (13) The City (36) The Commuter In Me (24) the Kneelands (31) The Nielsens (32) Thrifting (9) Toys (1) Traditions (16) Twilight (1) Vacation (51) Vintage (2) Visitors (26) We are so in Love (19) We're So in Love (61) Wedding (1) Weight Loss (2) Wizard of Oz (2)