Friday, April 11, 2014

Thrifting... The WHY!

Tomorrow I have a HUGE Thrifting trip planned - 3 Goodwill Stores, and a St. Vincent DePaul is calling my name.

I am not an expert, but 65 pounds, 4 clothing sizes down, I consider myself a bit of an aficionado.

I have worked in finance for 8 years, and even though Seattle has a very laid back attitude about what 'Business Professional' dress is, it took me a good 6 years to build a solid work wardrobe with lots of baseline essentials and a few pop pieces. I had finally built my clothing empire into something I could add to but in a pinch I usually had just the right piece for the occasion. 

Like I said, that was 65 pounds ago. My XXL tops and size 20 bottoms quickly became obsolete as I tried desperately to keep them on my body using safety pins and belts. The reality had come, I needed new clothes. 

I purchased my first size 14 jeans and Large top at retail, Old Navy none-the-less! The bill came to $38, and it was just two items, one single outfit, without accessories. I realized at that moment we didn't have the funds to replace my entire work wardrobe. I had just bought jeans, and cheap ones, dress pants often start at $38! So, I did what any (in)sane person would do, I continued to try and wear my 18-20 and XXL clothing.

Finally, my coworkers and spouse had a "Come to Jesus" moment with me after a couple months of ill-fitting work clothes an eternity of yoga pants anywhere else.  It helped me realize (and admit) I looked awful!  I had worked so hard for my new body, but no one could tell Because I was hidden in bolts of fabric!

So, I went to Target, thinking, I could find some cheaper dress clothes there, I came up empty handed, then, Wal-Mart and didn't find anything I liked. I knew the stores I liked but I was determined NOT to pay top dollar for my wardrobe. I simply could not afford to after knowing how much I had spent to get there in the first place! It was no abnormality to drop $200 each season in Lane Bryant (back when I had to shop at Lane Bryant) and get a few classic pieces. A few meaning maybe 4. Maybe.

A little disheartened, I walked into Goodwill. I never had any luck thrifting in the past at major chains, so I wasn't very optimistic about it. I did thrift when I was bigger, but the thrift store was called "Two Big Blondes" which is a consignment shop for large ladies not your average Goodwill or Value Village.

All that aside, I made an agreement with myself I needed to come home with at least one pair of dress pants that fit me before my boss had a talk with me about my failed attempts at Business Professional! I spent 2 and a half hours in Goodwill that afternoon and walked out having paid the cashier $40. I had 4 decent fitting pairs of dress pants of varying colors and 5 tops! It was an investment of time, but I got 90% more for my money! 

I went back the next weekend, and the one after that, and the next one after that and ... In six months I had built a decent wardrobe, and all from mostly, the Tukwila Goodwill.

Prior to the song “Thrift Shop” by Macklemore hitting the top songs on the Billboard, thrift stores had a stigma that only “poor” people shop there. It’s simply not true, you’ll see people from all walks of life in a thrift store on any given Saturday. I used to feel bad going into a thrift store thinking I had perfectly good money in my purse (and plenty) so I shouldn’t be taking items at a lower price because I could afford retail, I was just too cheap for retail. I guess I got over that.

So, after my adventure tomorrow, I plan to show you step by step exactly how I thrift. In case, you want to give it a shot yourself. I am also open to doing on-the-thrift-training. Come with! I find it cathartic to go thrifting...  I'm really looking forward to it!

No comments:

Labels

1312 (21) 30 Days of Thankful (29) 4th of July (1) 807 (3) Adventure (37) Angels (49) Anniversary (1) Aquaman (128) Aquaman Gracie (2) Art (2) Baseball (10) Be Still (13) Because (3) Birthday (26) bittersweet (1) Bloggerversary (7) Bloggybits (1) Blogstars (1) Bookworm (3) C25K (10) Cats (6) Celiac (5) Chef Eric (10) Chic (3) Christmas (20) Christmastime (73) Co-worker (24) Co-workers (7) Collecting (3) Coworkers (66) Crafty Things (12) Dianne's Hope (3) Diet (1) Disneyland (1) Easter (2) Eateries (3) Er (1) Exercise (9) Facebook (1) Faith (9) FALL (27) Family (139) Fitness (4) Football (1) For Me (10) Friends (59) Girl Time (17) Grace (23) Gracie (61) Halloween (43) Happy (1) He Humors Me (107) Hike (1) Holiday (2) Home Sweet Home (102) Homemaking (2) I am a Nerd (65) Inspiration (8) iPhone (6) Just Be (8) KMS (3) Kneelands (42) Lent (5) Luna (20) Mariners (2) Marvista Park (1) Memories (61) Momma (9) Motivation (1) Movember (4) Moving (3) Musings (110) NaBloPoMo (100) neighbors (1) Nephews (14) New Year (4) Nieces (19) Our Furry Kids (139) Owls (3) Pacific Northwest (2) PFM (1) Photo-a-Day (2) Photography (14) PSA (1) Quotes (1) Random (26) Rat City (1) Raw (1) Relay Committee (27) Relay For Life (43) Resolutions (4) Roller Derby (38) Ronnebeck Recap (7) Running (3) Seahawks (5) Seattle (13) Seattle Pals (67) Siblings (8) Skating (2) Slice of Life (20) Smile (34) Social Media (1) SoDo (1) Something New (75) South Dakota (55) Stories (1) t (1) Tales of Traveling (34) Ten on Tuesday (73) Thankful (20) Thanksgiving (13) The City (36) The Commuter In Me (24) the Kneelands (31) The Nielsens (32) Thrifting (9) Toys (1) Traditions (16) Twilight (1) Vacation (51) Vintage (2) Visitors (26) We are so in Love (19) We're So in Love (61) Wedding (1) Weight Loss (2) Wizard of Oz (2)