Sunday, August 24, 2014

Off the Grid... ON the Blog

I'm making a big leap in my world today.

I am working toward deleting my Facebook!

This has been a long time come... I've given it up every year for Lent for the past few years, but I have always picked the habit back up, and really after 40 days really didn't miss it much.

For now, I've only deleted a large portion of my photos, and am working on not logging into it. The past couple weeks have proved to me just how powerful Social Media is. With the ALS Ice Bucket challenge spreading like wild fire, I am finding myself more drawn to disconnecting.

Don't get me wrong, Social Media is a beautiful thing, and it's done a great job raising awareness and money for ALS, it's just made me realize how interconnected we all are.

I do Blogging, and I am on Instagram, but Facebook just feels a bit too intrusive. I don't feel like I miss out on anything when I log in there. I know MORE about friends I knew from High School NOW than when I saw them every day 10 + years ago. It just feels like it's getting a little too personal.

The larger catalyst to this was the fact that I recently had someone go through all my old photos and "Like" or Comment on photos that I posted YEARS ago, and frankly, it creeped me out! I know that I put my life out there for people to see, mostly here, but to know that someone (who frankly, I don't even know that well) sat and looked through precious memories that belong to me for hours clicking "like" or adding a few words here and there just didn't set well with me.

I mean, if you want to come and creep on my photos - at least come and read my blog, and hear the stories that go along with them.

So that's my story, I'm not about to condemn anyone who is currently on it, or who is staying on it, I've just realized that I need to back away for myself and that It's my issue.

What are your thoughts on FB?

No comments:

Labels

1312 (21) 30 Days of Thankful (29) 4th of July (1) 807 (3) Adventure (37) Angels (49) Anniversary (1) Aquaman (128) Aquaman Gracie (2) Art (2) Baseball (10) Be Still (13) Because (3) Birthday (26) bittersweet (1) Bloggerversary (7) Bloggybits (1) Blogstars (1) Bookworm (3) C25K (10) Cats (6) Celiac (5) Chef Eric (10) Chic (3) Christmas (20) Christmastime (73) Co-worker (24) Co-workers (7) Collecting (3) Coworkers (66) Crafty Things (12) Dianne's Hope (3) Diet (1) Disneyland (1) Easter (2) Eateries (3) Er (1) Exercise (9) Facebook (1) Faith (9) FALL (27) Family (139) Fitness (4) Football (1) For Me (10) Friends (59) Girl Time (17) Grace (23) Gracie (61) Halloween (43) Happy (1) He Humors Me (107) Hike (1) Holiday (2) Home Sweet Home (102) Homemaking (2) I am a Nerd (65) Inspiration (8) iPhone (6) Just Be (8) KMS (3) Kneelands (42) Lent (5) Luna (20) Mariners (2) Marvista Park (1) Memories (61) Momma (9) Motivation (1) Movember (4) Moving (3) Musings (110) NaBloPoMo (100) neighbors (1) Nephews (14) New Year (4) Nieces (19) Our Furry Kids (139) Owls (3) Pacific Northwest (2) PFM (1) Photo-a-Day (2) Photography (14) PSA (1) Quotes (1) Random (26) Rat City (1) Raw (1) Relay Committee (27) Relay For Life (43) Resolutions (4) Roller Derby (38) Ronnebeck Recap (7) Running (3) Seahawks (5) Seattle (13) Seattle Pals (67) Siblings (8) Skating (2) Slice of Life (20) Smile (34) Social Media (1) SoDo (1) Something New (75) South Dakota (55) Stories (1) t (1) Tales of Traveling (34) Ten on Tuesday (73) Thankful (20) Thanksgiving (13) The City (36) The Commuter In Me (24) the Kneelands (31) The Nielsens (32) Thrifting (9) Toys (1) Traditions (16) Twilight (1) Vacation (51) Vintage (2) Visitors (26) We are so in Love (19) We're So in Love (61) Wedding (1) Weight Loss (2) Wizard of Oz (2)